Thursday, July 14, 2005

Sexual discrimination in the media

Even a male illustrator, like my self, can be a victim of sexual discrimination. For me it happened in 1997, it was an art director at the largest swedish woman magazine. She burst out on the phone when I called to make an appoinment to try to show her my work of illustrations. "But you are a MAN. How could you possibly be able to illustrate an articale for women? I mean, if you would get an artical where the subject is about a woman trying to figure out weather she should stay in her relationship with her husband or boyfriend. You are a MAN. How could you possibly be able to illustrate that?". Another art director at a Swedish fashion magazine said: "I only use women illustrators for a fashion magazine, period".

What can I say?

Stefan Lindblad

No comments: