Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Business card wizard




















Business Card Wizard, Labels wizard in CorelDRAW
The Label function inside CorelDRAW have always been around, and its a great thing to use for making labels of all sizes and brand. And it has a lot of predefined brand labels from a large range of label manufacturers, such as Avery labels.

When I first made my business cards in CorelDRAW i never used the Label wizard Dialog in CorelDRAW. Probably because early on, many years ago, made a document with rows & columns. And later on made a single frame document, and had the printer shop down the street to multiply it for me. And sticky labels on envelopes I so rarely use these days.

But I do use business cards like everyone else, and for this CorelDRAW Labels wizard is excellent to use.

So there I was today, having to make a paper to print out on my home Inkjet & laser printer. Rushing out on a meeting, and I was out of business cards. And I needed to get a set of 10 cards on one paper, an A4 size paper. Here is how I solved it. And after I hade done this I found out that Foster D. Coburn III had made a tutorial similar to mine already in 2005. Great! But then I had already fixed my document and business cards, and was already back from my meeting handing out my business cards. If you like to see Foster´s excellent tutorial go here >>


DO LIKE THIS

Start CorelDRAW and go to "Paper Type/Size" and choose either Business Card or Japanese Business Card. And from there make your own design of the card. When you have designed your card, a one page card, while the document is open, go to: Tools and then Options in the menu. In Options choose Document, Label, Avery Ink A4. I choosed Avery Ink A4 J8414 - 87x50,8 because I liked to have a 2x5 row and coloumn document printed out. From there choose "Customize Label" button in the Label Dialog. In the dialog, make the width & height settings of your choice. I choosed 91x55 millimeters, and then choose "Auto margins" in the dialog, which will make the document more centered fit on the dokument. Now save your settings into a name of your own choice. And click OK. The document will now be saved in the "User Defined" folder among the other folders in the Label wizard dialog.
Now the wonderful part, go to Print Preview and print out the document on the printer of your choice. Voilá! Its done.
Good Luck!

Stefan Lindblad
Illustrator & artist





4 comments:

Foster D. Coburn III said...

Thanks for mentioning my tutorial. It is great that you are pointing this feature out because so many users will manually copy cards and place them on the page. Using the labels functionality or even the imposition functions in the print engine make it so much easier.

Firehawk said...

Thanks for the helpful information. I have a further question regarding labels:

Is it possible to only print a certain selected number of labels on the a4 Avery based sheet? I sometimes don't use a whole sheet and want to continue on it where I left off.

Any pointers would be a great help.
Thanks

Firehawk said...

Thanks for the helpful information. I have a further question regarding labels:

Is it possible to only print a certain selected number of labels on the A4 Avery based sheet? I sometimes don't use a whole sheet and want to continue on it where I left off.

Any pointers would be a great help.
Thanks

Stefan Lindblad - illustration & art said...

Hi,

I honstly dont know, I havent had the need to do it like that. Play around and see. I dont think one can, but as said, I havrent tried, because of no need to.
Good idea though.