Thursday, January 08, 2009

Photographers - use Photo-Paint

I am an illustrator by profession, and I do graphic design occasionaly. What I also do is using my own photographs in some of my mixed media illustrations. This means I do image adjustment in Photo-Paint. Many photographers probably use either Photoshop, Lightroom or Paint Shop Pro, and Photo-Paint. For those of you who do take photographs, and like to have a great program in which to image adjust your images, as well as adding illustration and graphic design elements into them. And maybe work at times with layout, putting together your own portfolio and broshure material, for you CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X4 could be a very good choice. To know more on what you can do with your photos, using Corel Photo-Paint, go this website CorelDRAW.com, with a very active forum, with people from all over the world. Just recently http://www.coreldraw.com/ crossed the 20.000 member. And this alone since last year. Look at the main site, and browse to Photo edit or Photo-Paint X4 when you like to ask questions. Post your own photos in the Gallery and get comments. Just a little tip to start the new year.

Stefan Lindblad
Illustrator & artist

3 comments:

Rikk said...

Stephan,

Here is my perspective on that subject:
Serious photographers use RAW. Serious photographers do initial editing in 16 Bit files.
Serious Photographers use non-destructive editing. (Adjustment Layers/Object Lenses)

Photopaint X4 doesn't handle 16 bit files when using an object lens. This is the single biggest detriment to using PPX4 for photography. PSP has little to no 16 bit support. I was asked by the Corel engineering staff what made me 'have to' use Photoshop over PhotoPaint and the 16 bit object lens is 90% of the reason. It really is a shame because at the point I down sample to 8 bit for the output to screen or print, I move the file into PhotoPaint because it is so much easier to use.

PP will never be serious for the photographic community until it can take care of a high-bit files in the lens docker. It is a shame because PP holds its own against PS in the non-photographic arenas.

Lars said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lars said...

"Serious photographers use RAW."
I am not too sure about that. RAW files slows down your camera and eats storage space and are time consuming. With digital cameras you can take a few other exposures instead and discard those that are not satisfactory.
I think Ken Rockwell has a fresh take on this subject: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm