Sunday, October 03, 2010

Corel Photo-Paint X5

For those who dont need Photoshop per say, but more need a graphic software which includes a professional image editing and illustration tool, have a look at CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, which includes CorelDRAW and Photo-Paint. I know that some people who buys CorelDRAW Graphics Suite for CorelDRAW, installs the whole suite and forget that they are also installing Corel PHOTO-PAINT: the professional Image editing software which of course like Photoshop at the same time is a professional illustration software.

While Photographers may look for an Image editing software and maybe a page layout software, an illustrator like myself who also make graphic design look for more. I look for a software allowing Illustration, page Layout and image editing. And when it comes to illustration I need a software that allows bitmap = drawing & painting and vector illustration. I need it for technical illustration as well as more free hand illustration. You know what I mean.
Illustration is not only about drawing and painting. Illustration is about illustrating “something”. And as such it can be drawing and painting yes, but it could also be a mixed media illustration. A collage in which I use my own photographs. And it can be more as well.

I dont dislike Photoshop as its a truly great software, but when I hear from freelancing illustrators and graphic designers who just bought CorelDRAW Graphics Suite and tell me they also bought Photoshop or Paintshop Pro simply because they didnt know Photo-Paint existed and was installed at the same time they installed CorelDRAW, it if not saddens me at least make me sigh if just a bit. And so do many of them as well. Especially as they could have saved a lot of money if they knew Photo-Paint existed in the CorelDRAW Graphics Suite.

If you are in the situation thinking of buying CorelDRAW and a Photo editing software then do try CorelDRAW Graphics Suite. I recomend it as I use it myself profesionally on a daily basis.
Photo-Paint may lack some great features Photoshop has, but equally you will still get a great professional image editing software with Photo-Paint.

Read a bit more about it here >

Stefan Lindblad
Illustrator, artist & graphic designer





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,

I love Photo-PAINT! It meets 99% of my daily needs.

Jeff Harrison

Stefan Lindblad - illustration & art said...

I agree 100%.
I use it extensivly myself.